WordPress SEO Practices
Are you a beginner and facing a lot of problems with WordPress SEO? There are many things which come under WordPress SEO Practices and webmaster needs to identify what should be given the most priority and what not. If you are new to WordPress and SEO then it becomes difficult to understand from the pool of content that is available on the web. We are making it easy by telling the best ‘ WordPress SEO Practices’ that help you to increase your web traffic as fast as possible.
7 WordPress SEO Practices for Beginners to Excel
1.SEO Friendly WordPress theme
The first and the most important thing in ‘WordPress SEO Practices’ is an SEO friendly WordPress theme. Many people don’t know how to select a WordPress theme and this leads to falling in their search engine rankings.
Below are the features which help you to select the best theme for your website.
- Mobile friendly
Nearly 70% of the traffic comes from the mobiles and if your site is not responsive then you are losing a lot of money from your pocket. So redesign your website and install responsive themes which offer conversion rates and sales.
- Developer friendly
WordPress website helps the developer to perform certain changes to the underlying code. It makes the work easy and in an efficient way. So go for a developer friendly theme.
- Loads Faster
Who doesn’t like a website that loads faster? Google also rewards fast loading websites with certain points which help to improve the rankings in SERP. Read more for how to speed up your WordPress page speed.
2. SEO Friendly Hosting
In the world of search engine optimization, many tend to forget that hosting providers block the search engine bots from crawling the website. Host Providers add some restrictions such as robots.txt in your website which does not allow search engine’s to access the full content. They leave a negative impact by not allowing to crawl a number of times thus delaying in the crawl rate. It affects the site rankings and if you don’t choose the correct provider it lands you into serious problems. There are many hosting companies. If you are looking for a Share Hosting or Business Share Hosting, I will prefer you HostGator and for VPS Hosting, KnownHost the best service providers in the world.
3. WordPress Security
Another important thing you must take care in WordPress SEO Practices is Security. The Websites get hacked easily if it contains weak links such as passwords, plugins, and free downloaded themes. Hackers load malicious code which leaves a bad reputation to your websites without going links. Everything gets hacked without the knowledge of the owner as the hackers use different ways to crack the code and enter a website. This makes Google remove your site from search engine and it considers it as a malware. This shows a serious drop in the rankings.
The only thing you can do is to delete all the malware and submit a request to reconsider your site. I prefer you to activate Jetpack Plugin, it will protect you from hackers.
4. Technical SEO Best Practices
Now we are going to discuss the important tasks that have a direct impact on search engine traffic and rankings, i.e, Technical SEO, On-Page Optimization, and Off-Page Optimization. Technical SEO is the first thing in this list. It refers to the work done besides the content. It works as a strong pillar to your content. You must download Yoast SEO Plugin to perform the below tasks.
Consider the following practices that help you in technical SEO:
- The XML sitemap should be submitted to search engines like Google and Bing. Read this post from the Yoast regarding How to Submit XML sitemap. Also, please refer the below video.
- Check whether robots.txt blocking search engines to crawl. After submitting the XML sitemap, check this with the Google after 24 Hours.
- Set a preferred domain in Google Search Console as http://domainname.com or http://www.domainname.com. Also, you should prefer your domain with WordPress too. Please refer this for WordPress Domain change task.
- HTML sitemap and Custom 404, 301, 302 (redirect) pages should be created.
- If you are providing your website in more than one language then check whether it is defined in Google search console or not?
- Make sure your website is mobile-friendly and canonical URL’s are established.
These settings enable you to improve the rank for relevant keywords and phrases. Please refer this video too;
On-Page SEO, the name itself tells that it is related to the optimization task within the website. Here are the things you must optimize your website or web pages; To get best benefits, please download Yoast SEO Plugin and start customizing your web pages.
The prominent part is played by the title on the page. It sends the first signal to the users and also to the search engines what your page is about. Make sure your title is not above 60 characters and it should contain the Target Keyword in it. If you want to know how to do Keyword Research and How to find the Main (Target) Keyword, please refer this article, A-Z about Keyword Research.
For example, if you are describing optimization for a WordPress website. Then you can add a Title as how I have set, “7 Fascinating WORDPRESS SEO Practices That Boost Traffic 408 Percent”. Here “WordPress SEO Practices” is my target keyword which is there in the Title.
- Word Count:
So far it was observed that Google shows a preference for longer and best content. Average word count for every topic is above 800 words. When writing a content, make a detailed and comprehensive coverage of the subject.
- Choose a Target Keyword:
Target Keyword should be incorporated into your content, primarily in your Title, URL, Header (H1) and Sub-Headers (H2-H6), Introduction Paragraph, and in the Conclusion Paragraph. But be cautious that you may not do keyword-stuffing.
- Internal Links:
Internal links can be defined as the links that help to navigate other pages with in your website. It enables users to find more information related to a single topic and it also helps search engine to discover more pages to index in Google. A number of internal links are also valued, for link juice. It allows the search engines crawl the site’s content. Keep your internal inks only if they are needed otherwise it sends a bad impression to bots. A good Internal Structure Optimizations are needed. For an example, A red marked link “Increase your traffic” in my introduction is an another page from my blog itself.
For an example, A red marked link “Increase your traffic” in my introduction is an another page from my blog itself.
Meta-description won’t be necessary for ranking, but it will serve as “ad copy” in search engines. This part appears in the search results and it should be brief and attractive. As it encourages the user to click the particular web page or ignore it. But add your Target Keyword in the Meta Description.
- H1 Tags:
Another element for consideration is H1 Tag. Remember there should be one H1 Tag in the page content. In almost all WordPress themes, the value of heading is equivalent to the Page Title. As much as possible, ensure your H1 Tag, H2-H6 Tags, and Meta Descriptions are unique and accurately describe the main topic of your page and the Target Keyword.
I would like to give you a suggestion that, H1 and H2 are more enough on your content. One H1 and other major Headlines you can keep as H2. In this post, “WordPress SEO Practices” is H1 and “7 WordPress SEO Practices for Beginners to Excel” is H2, Even if I use another headline (which is not there in this post.You can refer other posts in my blog which has multiple H2) I will keep it as H2 only.
- Outgoing links:
It is concerned with links outside of your site. If it is required, please link to another website (please refer above, ‘How to Submit XML sitemap’ is an example of Outbound link). By doing this, you can avail two benefits, one is Google considers them as ‘votes of trust’ and second is your readers will get satisfy when he finds all the relevant information with the references.
Off-page SEO is nothing but optimizing your website from outside website. The process of Off-SEO includes Link Building, Social Media Sharing, Article Submission, Blog Commenting, Directory Submission, Local Listing..etc. Many find it difficult to understand and implement. But it is easy if you spent a little extra time every day.
- Build quality Backlinks:
The most popular Off-Page SEO technique by so far is link building. It’s a huge topic on its own. There are lot of options available to get backlinks such as blog commenting, social sharing, guest blogging..etc
- Create great content that is worthy to get links
It is a wonderful idea that creates a unique and quality content. It will enforce your readers to give links to your site as well as generate more social shares.
I would like to say that, please refer these articles which I published earlier for more details.
7.Creating content that matches user intent
In past when discussing SEO optimized content we concentrated only on;
- Keyword research for what user are searching.
- Creating unique content using the search keywords.
- Following the same traditional methods for every new content.
Now, many things have changed and Content marketing is not just about the keywords. It is giving unique and useful information according to the user’s intent. Google easily understands the keyword stuffing with the help of rank brain, an automated ranking algorithm and it helps them to keep their reputation high with user satisfaction.
Now the refined SEO copywriting process becomes:
- We have to search for the keywords, phrases these can be done by using a variety of tools like WordStream, SEMrush Google’s Keyword Planner, Ubersuggest, and Searchmetrics’ Keyword Analysis tool, etc.
- Examine the results in the search engine and understand what type of content the users are looking.
- Look and Loot your competencies keywords that they are targeting with SEO friendly content
- FOCUS on Long-tail keywords as natural language keywords are now becoming a great source for generating Search Engine Traffic.
- Repeat the same method for any new article.
- For a beginner, it is important to understand that WordPress SEO is not related to only one factor. There are many things that play a major role in improving the rankings.
- Firstly, check your WordPress website starting from the theme, host providers, and security services. Then go through technical SEO and make sure whether any external links are blocking the bots to crawl our site.
- Next part is on page SEO which sends many signals to search engines indicating the purpose of your page.
- On the final part, Link building helps you to maintain your site in the long term process.