There are a number of health conditions that can affect a person’s quality of life. A stroke can happen to any person at any time. When blood flow to one area of the brain is cut off the cells become deprived of oxygen and will die. Once the brain cells die a person loses the functioning of this area of the brain. Each year over 800,000 people experiences this disorder. Some people are able to remove but are left with some form of a disability.
Types of Strokes
- Hemorrhagic is when a blood vessel in the brain bursts or leaks. Blood from the vessels will spill on the brain which creates swelling and pressure. This damages the cells of the brain.
- Ischemic happens when the blood vessels in the brain are blocked by a blood clot resulting a stroke.
- Transient Ischemic Attack happens when blood flow to one part of the brain stops for a short period of time. This can also lead to the dying of cells and cause a stroke.
There are some things to be aware of that may indicate that a person is having this disorder. If a person experiencing any of these symptoms or a combination of symptoms they should seek medication attention immediately.
- A feeling of numbness in the face ,arms, or legs, especially on the left side of the body.
- Sudden confusion or trouble speaking is another sign.
- If a person is having sudden trouble seeing in one or both of their eyes they should call 911.
- If a person has sudden trouble walking, loses their balance, has a feeling of dizziness, and loses coordination.
- If a person has a sudden severe headache with no known causes.
If a person is experiencing any of these symptoms or a combination of symptoms they need to call emergency medical personnel immediately.
What Causes Stroke
Many strokes are preventable. There are some common risk factors that a person needs to be aware of . There are some factors such as age and gender that are beyond a person’s control. If a person has high blood pressure they are at risk for a stroke. This is the main risk factor. If a person has high blood pressure over 140/90 mmHg over time they are at a great risk for a stroke. If a person is suffering from diabetes they are also at an increased risk. People that smoke put themselves at a risk for a stroke. Smoking can damage the blood vessels and decreases the amount of oxygen that reaches the cells. As a person ages, they are at an increased risk for a stroke. Women are more likely to die of a stroke than men. It is more common in African Americans and Native Americans than in other populations. If a person has a family history of a stroke they are also at a higher risk for having a stroke. A person that uses illegal drugs or drinks alcohol is also at an increased risk of having a stroke. Risk factors also include being overweight or obese, people that are depressed, those that live a sedentary lifestyle , and people that eat a diet high in fat and cholesterol.
Read more on
If a person has a family history of a stroke or several of the risk factors then they should see a doctor right away. A doctor will listen to the symptoms and will recommend lifestyle changes to help reduce the risk factors. A person will also go through a physical exam. A person may have a neurological exam and may need additional testing. This may save a person’s life. If a person feels like they are having this disorder or experiencing symptoms they should seek medical treatment right away.
How to prevent Stroke
To help reduce the risk of having this disorder, there are some lifestyle changes that a person can make.
- A person should reduce the amount of salt in their diet. A person should aim to consume no more than a half of teaspoon of salt a day.
- A person should also avoid fatty foods. This includes foods that were deep fried and foods high in cholesterol.
- A person should also exercise for at least 30 minutes a day.
- If a person is a smoker they should quit. This habit may be difficult to quit but it will decrease a risk a person has for having this disorder and other health problems.
- Drink plenty of water. More than 10 glasses per day. It is a natural cleanser
Read More on Benefits of Drinking Water
There are many people that die from a stroke each year. If a person is aware of the warning signs and takes measures to reduce their risk of having a stroke they may be able to prevent this deadly condition.