Acid Reflux Disease: Acidity
Acid Reflux Disease also known as Acidity is nothing but the abnormal backflow of acid and stomach content from the stomach to the esophagus. Our stomach produces strong acid, hydrochloric acid, which helps in digestion process efficiently. At the entrance of your stomach, there is a valve, ring of muscle, called Lower esophageal Sphincter (LES). Normally this valve, LES, closes as soon as you food content is passed. If this valve does not close, acid move up into the esophagus and this abnormality is called acid reflux disease or GERD ( Gastro Esophageal Reflux Disease).
This image helps you to understand the concept easily
How Acid Reflux Disease develops
Acid reflux disease happens because of Hiatus Hernia.
Diaphragm, a muscle which separates our stomach from the chest, helps to retain acids in the stomach. Hiatus Hernia is an abnormality of our stomach where the upper stomach and LES goes above Diaphragm. This abnormality triggers acid to move up into the esophagus.
Reasons for Acid Reflux Disease
- Being overweight
- Eating large meals
- Lying down immediately after meal
- Drinking more alcohol, coffee, tea and carbonated drinks.
- Pregnancy days it happens
- Certain medicines can cause
- Eating certain spicy food, chocolates, citrus, tomatoes, onion, mint and garlic
- Heartburn :- a burning pain or discomfort from chest or abdomen.
- Regurgitation :- acid coming up in throat or mouth and get a sour or bitter taste.
- A chronic sore throat
- Dry cough
- Bloody Vomiting
- Dyspepsia :- feels like food got stuck in our throat
Complication of Acidity
The acid reflux disease is a common disease as like another disease. But if we do not care for a long period, stomach acid will damage the linings of the esophagus and this may lead to Esophageal Cancer also.
How Acid Reflux Disease can be treated
There are a lot of medicines available for acid reflux disease. But if you can change your diet and lifestyle, it will help you to get out of it more effectively.
- Take your meals before 2-3 hour prior to bedtime.
- Avoid more fatty and spicy foods such junk food, non-vegetarians food, and deep oiled food.
- Do not smoke.
- Do not drink more alcohol and carbonated drinks.
- Replace your tea and coffee with warm milk. Milk gives you even immediate relief also.
- Avoid wearing tight dresses.
- If you are overweight, reduce it. Do exercise regularly, at least 30 minute walk morning or evening.
- Drink more water.
- Drinking coconut water reduces acidity.
- Use pillows and raise your head at least 5-6 inch while lying down
Latest posts by Anish George (see all)
- How to Migrate your WordPress website from HTTP to HTTPS with SEO - November 16, 2017
- How to Make Money from Blogging – A Complete Guide for Beginners - September 28, 2017
- How to do SEO for a New Website: Better Your Web Traffic - June 15, 2017