Keyword research tools are the most important tool for a digital marketing professional. In online marketing, everything starts and remains around keywords. Whether it is an advertisement or a marketing campaign, it has to be centered and based on keywords.
There are many tools that can help in searching keywords. These tools could be either free or paid.
Here I’m listing 5 top best free keyword research tools for both the beginners and senior SEOs.
#1 Google Keyword Planner:
It is the first keyword research tool and also the best to begin your keyword research with. It works best for Google AdWords but it is also good for searching organic keywords for search marketing. Also, it is free to use. The tool can be used for any number of times without worrying about a fee.
Advantages of Google Keyword Planner:
- This tool can easily spy on your competitor websites and swipe their keywords that you can use to optimize your ads and landing page.
- It is a great tool for researching local keywords. The tool has a separate column for listing geographic locations for keywords searching and it gives a quick estimate.
- It can easily find niche markets for targeting. Also, this wonderful tool can suggest more keywords to blog about.
- Creating AdWords ad campaigns becomes a hassle-free affair with this tool.
- It can provide real help in developing a silo structure of related websites for a topic.
The first thing to tell about this tool is that it is a paid tool. Users are offered different packages to buy it. KWFinder is good for searching long tail keywords. Also, it displays latest trends in keywords, search volume, and level of difficulty of keywords.
Level of difficulty of keywords is displayed in a new page that opens by clicking on the word. A user clicks on a keyword to find its level of difficulty; the tool opens a fresh page to display results. The level of difficulty is measured on a scale of 1-100. Also, the user sees current Google Search Results for that keyword.
KWFinder gives more results including the domains targeting that keyword. The results show backlinks of those domains and their traffic. Also, the tool can provide a big help in researching local keywords for targeting cities and states and even countries.
It is a paid tool but it has the features that others are missing.
#3 Moz’s Keyword Explorer
It is available on 30-day free trial and this tool is worth giving a try as it adds more dimensions to the keyword research. The Keyword Explorer by Moz goes a step ahead than simple volume search and difficulty rating.
It is useful for following tasks:
- Checking relative CTR of organic keywords on a search result page
- Determining the value of keywords in a campaign
- Looking into the potential of different keywords
Example: A user has already downloaded a list of broad matching keywords for a search marketing campaign. But the user wants to get more insight into the keyword research. The user uploads the keywords in the Keyword Planner and gets a more specific list of keywords.
It is Keyword Planner that gives x-ray like results of domains. The results show link strategy and social data of domains and help in understanding reasons behind specific domains achieving high ranks on SERPs and other lagging behind.
Moz’s Keyword Planner is a wonderful tool to take search marketing strategy beyond keyword research.
#4 Keyword Tool
It is a free keyword research tool and offered as a reliable alternative to Google Keyword Planner and other tools. It is a user-friendly tool as it can be used even without creating an account. It gives 750+ keywords suggests for each search term.
How does it work?
The Keyword Tool uses Google Autocomplete to suggest keywords. It can generate hundreds of long tail keywords with the help of Google’s feature. But it doesn’t directly import the terms suggested by Google. The Keyword Tool selects terms after considering many factors like search volume of keywords.
This tool allows users choosing a Google domain one out of 83 languages for keyword suggestion. The long-tail keywords are generated by using prefixes and suffixes to the search terms and the words are placed in Google Search Box to pull more results. And it happens in a fraction of a second.
The Keyword Planner is just perfect for everything from AdWords, PPC advertisements, search marketing, blogging, and content creation. It also has an advanced version called Keyword Tool Pro that gives two times more results than its free version.
It won’t be an exaggeration to call SEMrush a one-stop solution for all keywords related needs. It gives more than any other tool could offer. Also, it gives more relevant search results that others could miss.
Advantages of SEMrush:
- a) It can search keywords for both Google and Bing. The result includes latest trends, search volume, CPC and ad copies.
- b) It gives full insight on alternative search queries for alternative targeting. Also, the tool analyzes most common keywords on Google and Bing and shows the keywords with variations like synonyms.
- c) The tool gives long-volume keywords for less competitive search. Keywords with only 10 queries per year are selected in long-tail keywords.
- d) SEMrush boasts of a broad keyword database of 28 regions. The database is helpful in international SEO for multilingual websites that target multiple countries at a time.
- e) The tool provides a detailed competitive analysis of keywords competitors are using. Also, it gives an accurate value of those keywords for search marketing and paid advertising.
Keyword research is fundamental to digital marketing and a tool is necessary for searching keywords. While Google Keyword Planner is a preferred tool for beginners, experienced SEOs choose paid tools that have more features. There are many tools that can help in searching keywords but the selection of a keyword research tool should be done carefully. You should use the tool you are comfortable with.
Latest posts by Jasmeet Singh (see all)
- Double your Online Audience by Using these 5 keyword Research Tools - April 23, 2018