It is official, for the year 2022, the end of traditional fixed telephony and PSTN ( or switched telephone network) technology is expected. Although the horizon may seem distant, the end is near and we must prepare for it. This technological advance will call into question the relevance of existing telecommunication solutions. We present the solution that is seen today as the future of telephony.
Some companies have already declared the end of the switched telephone network, and this could be (very) problematic for companies that have not anticipated this change of course. This article gives you possible alternatives to your current phone system.
Which agency in your business doesn’t know the traditional telephone connected directly to the “T” jack?
Deployed in the 1980s by Orange, the PSTN network has, for many years, allowed professionals and individuals to communicate through devices that provide a temporary link between two people: automatic switches.
Unfortunately, the obsolescence of the equipment and the technology of this means of communication are at the origin of the maintenance difficulties. For this reason, Orange has announced its program of modernization of its networks, including the progressive suppression of the “historic” telephone network.
Over the years, several companies have dedicated themselves to the research and creation of more modern and innovative telephone systems and, fortunately for us, there are many alternatives to the RTC system.
The IP network or VoIP (Voice over IP) represents the future of communication. This technique of communication by voice has as main support Internet and any network that accepts the IP protocol. Telephone communications through the broadband Internet network are transported like any other data (image, music, video…etc.
It has been stated that as soon as the historic telephone network disappears, IP technology will take over through operators who have developed an alternative VoIP solution.
Winston Churchill once said, “It’s better to take the change from the hand before it takes you by the neck.
To date, several companies have already entered the Internet telephony market. They offer modern alternatives to traditional fixed-line telephony.
To anticipate the future mutation of the current telephone system, everyone must know the options that are available to them. The main option that is becoming the new landline phone is the WebRTC or “Real Time Communication” line. This is VoIP telephony, but with many improvements.
It could be compared to the famous Skype, but there are two big differences:
- Because it passes through browsers (through the web), WebRTC technology becomes completely free.
- This technology does not require (in principle) the installation of any plugin or third party software.
VOIP Telephony Advantages
VoIP lines will allow you (if you do it on time) to keep your existing landline number or hire a new one.
Through the use of IP technology, you will be able to receive your calls on your computer (or mobile). And this is simply by connecting to a platform or installing a program (the processes will be different depending on the company selected).
WebRTC lines have the advantage of being able to be used anywhere and at (often) very competitive prices. All you will need is an Internet connection and a device with microphones or headphones.
Many companies have already migrated to IP telephony due to savings on monthly bills and higher speeds offered by Internet providers.
After the changes, the companies distinguished the main advantages of this shift compared to their previous systems:
- Economic advantage. The reduced costs of IP telephony allow great savings in the invoices of the companies.
- Long-term investment. Migration to an IP network represents a strategic option in view of the near disappearance of traditional technology.
- Better support for mobile workers. The fact of not having to be physically connected to a telephone line allows a considerable gain in mobility for different users while promoting telework.
- Rich features. All company devices can be combined on the same network.
- Extensive functionalities. Companies have the possibility of integrating a large number of functionalities to improve the experience of their customers (optional menus, pre-placed, messages, voicemail, etc.) and their employees (call recording, call forwarding or transfer, sending voice messages by e-mail, etc..
- Increased productivity. This new technology applied together with innovative telecommunications systems, such as Call center software, will be the key for your company to carry out a really productive work activity. These systems help the management and administration of calls in a company, and when used together with the WebRTC, the results can be amazing.
Anticipation, the best solution
Orange’s statements have made the WebRTC and other telecommunications solution technologies in development. Google Chrome, Mozilla, Windows 10, Android or iOS are already compatible with the application. It offers more than interesting opportunities for small and medium businesses.
The application of this technology within the organization and its potential for unified communications make traditional telephone systems out of date. As a result, companies have to adapt.
By anticipating a technological change in their telecommunication systems, companies will benefit from the exchange. They will renew the customer experience, mobility, and support of their organizations. Society and its functioning are evolving. Don’t be left behind, keep moving because others will!